A well-renowned insurance company is looking to establish and embed an effective PMO governance and project delivery framework, with effective tools, processes, reporting and stakeholder engagement.
The role is to provide a high level of project support to the IT Change & Portfolio team on a full range of project-related activities and processes, and to contribute to the effective operation of the team as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain a PMO capability which supports delivery of the portfolio, programmes and projects within IT and where required across the businesses.
- Ensure a governance framework and processes are in place for effective programme and project management including reporting, risk and issue management, budgeting and forecasting and cost tracking, benefits tracking and measurement and planning.
- Support Head of IT Change / Portfolio Management and wider IT Leadership team with regular and timely portfolio, programme and project reporting. Support requests for ad hoc reporting. Productionise standard reports for consistency and efficiency.
- Own and execute the overall stage gate process for projects, ensuring all relevant parties are engaged and support the outcomes of the stage gates and any actions raised are followed through to closure. Act as an ambassador for the stage gate process, ensuring its purpose and the process are clear and it’s value is visible.
- Refine and manage the processes to support the portfolio plan, budget and forecasting activities. Ensure funding approvals are secured for new projects and processes are in place for cost tracking. Provide consolidated view of finances – variance to budget, forecasts, key budget risks etc. Work with Finance representatives to ensure appropriate processes and accounting treatment applied.
- Establish and maintain the IT Resource Profile (Demand/Supply) and status enabling IT to successfully deliver IT and business initiatives.
- Track overall milestones and dependencies across the project portfolio. Establish standards for planning and ensure plans are defined, fit for purpose and are actively used to drive delivery of the projects. Provide portfolio, programme and project views of plans.
- Implement a prioritisation model, providing a decision support tool to assist the ITLT in prioritising programmes and projects that represent the best alignment to strategic drivers, with the least risk of achievement.
- Define, implement and manage a benefits measurement and tracking process (including tangible and non-tangible benefits)
- Provide key decision support information across the portfolio using highlights, RAG, finance, milestone and exception-based reporting and reporting of trends.
- Provide the challenge and scrutiny of project information and identify options to support decision-making and reprioritisation. Conduct proactive and reactive Project Health checks across the overall project portfolio as required.
- To deputise for the Head of IT Change / Portfolio Management as required.
- Prepare for and attend regular portfolio, programme and project management meetings with the Head of IT Change / Portfolio Management and Change Managers.
- Assist with the definition of the project management delivery framework and best practice methodology, progressing implementation and driving consistent application.
- Establish a training ‘Routemap’ to support Project Managers and implementation of the Project Management Framework.
- Support and lead initiatives for the continuous improvement of the IT Change function.
- To implement an effective approach for Knowledge Management ensuring consistent review of project performance, and identification and communication of lessons learned.
- Deputise for the Head of IT Change / Portfolio Management at appropriate Governance forums (e.g. Architecture and Security Review Board) ensuring portfolio projects are reviewed and compliance assessed.
- At least 5+ years previous PMO Management experience in a challenging and changing environment is essential.
- Project Management and PMO qualification to Practitioner / Post Graduate level Programme and Project management.
- Preferred industry experience in IT, Financial Services and Insurance.
- Highly organised and proactive individual with excellent attention to detail.
- A motivated, approachable and enthusiastic individual with a positive attitude.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Excellent stakeholder management, communication & negotiation skills.
- Team Leadership experience.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload.
- Demonstrable experience of working with senior managers.
- Ability to work autonomously but also as part of a team.
- Evidence of managing projects from definition to delivery with individual projects budgets of up to or above £200k.
- Strong team working skills inspiring trust and acting as a catalyst for change and success.